Cartagena is located on the north coast of Colombia. It gets pretty hot so be sure to bring an air conditioner. Try your hand at bargaining and buy yourself a guitar. Then go to the old walled city and perform for the local flock of pigeons. If they’re not responding, try catching one – it can be done – twice, in fact, like this friendly visitor had the occasion to do. And, don’t forget to get some dredlocks while you’re there.
Other things to try in Cartagena
- Go to one of the nearby beaches, rent a Jet-Ski and then relax on the beach with a massage by one of the locals.
- Visit the La Popa monastery.
- Go through the tunnels at El Castillo de San Felipe, an old fortress.
- Pay money to use the toilet in the little shop across from the main entrance to El Castillo.
- Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Old City at night.
- Eat supper in the Old City in San Pedro Claver Square and watch local performers.
- Go shopping for great Colombian emeralds.
- Visit the Cartagena Gold Museum.
- Catch a ride to one of the nearby Islands of Las Islas del Rosario.
- Sit on your balcony, watch the sunset over the water and eat two cookies and call me in the morning.